Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies
HAPPY NATIONAL CHOCOLATE DAY!
Typically, I'm against using recipes for myself. I'm not saying I don't recommend recipes, I just like to create food and forego the measuring of ingredients but I had to use a copycat recipe for this special treat--the Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookie from Levain Bakery in New York City!
This cookie is the best one I've ever had. This is coming from a chocoholic, mind you, and one with a sweet tooth at that. If a cookie is good, I'd know it. If a cookie is trash, I'd know it too, but I might still enjoy it because...sugar. Regardless, I think the copycat recipe I used came close to Levain's masterpiece, but I did slightly modify it. All credit goes to a food blog named Parsley Sage Sweet that has been inactive for a couple of years, but still has relevant recipes.
Once you make these, you'll never think of cookies the same way again.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 sticks of butter (16 oz. CUBED)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (but for National Chocolate Day, add more!)
3/4 of walnuts*
*** ignore if you have a nut allergy
Getting Down to Business
1. In a bowl, cream sugars and butter together (you should use a standing mixture but since we're living the "Two Broke Girls" life, I just did it with a spoon)
2. Beat eggs separately in a small bowl and add to sugar mixture
3. Add in vanilla
4. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt)
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until ALMOST fully incorporated
6. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts
7. Saran wrap the bowl and let cookie dough rest in fridge for an hour. Take this time to watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
8. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
9. After dough rests, form into balls between 4oz-6oz and place them on a baking sheet.
10. Bake cookies for 15-20 minutes. Once done, they should be a little raw and soft on the inside.
Serve and enjoy!